Birthday cake for your dog!
With our family still hanging close to home, we are looking for any opportunity to celebrate. This week it came in the form of a dog birthday celebration for Elsa. She turned 6. It’s hard to believe that this was her when I picked her up in Cambridge, NY at The Monks of New Skete.
We made her a dog friendly carrot cake, complete with frosting and accompanied by the birthday song. It was a party fit for a...dog!
Dog Carrot Cake Recipe
9 tablespoons coconut oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
2 cups shredded carrot
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
food coloring (optional)
- Coat the cake pan of your choice with cooking spray or butter
- Beat the coconut oil with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and continue to beat until well blended. Add in the milk and mix till combined
- In a bowl whisk together the flour baking soda and cinnamon then ann to the wet ingredients. Mix for about 30 seconds until fully blended in.
- Add the carrots and stir to combine
- Pour into pans. Sharply tap pan on the counter top to get rid of any air bubbles in the batter
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If making cupcakes, reduce this time to around 15 minutes. Again test by inserting a toothpick into the center.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes then remove the cake from its pan
- Put cornstarch and water in a bowl and whisk together to combine (you can substitute rice or potato flour if you’d like)
- Add food coloring if desired
- The icing will harden
- Decorate your cake as desired
Make sure to sing happy birthday!