Homemade Treat Recipe for Your Furry Friend- Great activity for Quarantine
I don’t know about you, but social, physical isolation has led our family to do a lot more jigsaw puzzles, card games, and Netflix, all with our pups by our feet. I’d venture to say that our dogs are the only ones happy about the current status quo. They are getting their humans with them 24 hours a day, multiple daily walks and a lot of extra belly rubs. So today, after online school work was finished, we decided to make our favorite furry companions something special…home made dog treats. They’re super easy and a great activity to do with your family using ingredients you probably have right now.
Sam's Special Dog Treats
Here’s what you will need:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)/olive/vegetable oil
4 bouillon cubes
2 cups of boiling water
Totally optional add-ins - cheese or bacon
In regards to the flour…If your dog is gluten free, use gluten free flour. If you have only, whole wheat or all purpose flour go ahead and use that. The best thing about this recipe is that it’s super forgiving.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine the first three ingredients in a large bowl.
- Dissolve the bouillon in the boiling water.
- Add bouillon to flour mixture and stir with a large spoon (this is a good time to add in anything extra (cheese, small pieces of bacon, etc.)
- Roll onto a floured surface. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter or drinking glass.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes then carefully flip them over and cook for another 15-30 minutes. If your treats are super thick, this could take a little more time. If they are super thin, less time. You want them to be cooked and crunchy so that they don’t mold.
Let the treats cool and voila, dog treats you made by hand. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
We would love to see photos of your creations, the humans who made them, and the dogs who enjoy them. It’s our way of feeling a little more connected. You can send them to us at hello@SamAndNala.com or tag us on Instagram @Sam.and.Nala or Facebook /SamandNala